Vagalicious Book Club

A book club by and for fabulous Vaginas!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Midwives

Surprise, nothing going on at work so I was able to finish Midwives. Wow, a very powerful story and the end actually surprised me. BUT during the actual reading of the book, I got a little over the prose...very wordy with long descriptions that my brain could actually conjur up with half the words. I also think he painted Sybil as a very one-sided, confident in her actions, hippie midwife. Only during the last chapter does he give her some complexity-doubt, fear, completely blowing up on the witness stand. It could've gone so much deeper.

What do you think Tinkerbell?

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Blogger tinkerbell said...

I agree about the possiblity of going deeper. It was wordy and the trial was too much for me. not really a trial gal but, holy shit, ending. The very last page put a whole different thought process about the book. Fear, compulsion, just not reading the signs of her patient. Mistake and not so hot of a midwif as we thought, huh??

How did a man write a story about a 13 year old girl and midwives anyway? Always impressed when people can pull characters out of their ass.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger tinkerbell said...

wheres aunge, elie and becky???????

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger Madge or Lydia said...

I don't know but I love your new pic!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home